Sunday, February 15, 2009

Thoughts on being an orphan

Well, I am officially an orphan. It is a very strange feeling. My dad died in 1981, when I was 13. My mom died in 2005, when I was 37. And today my stepfather died, and I am 40. Lots of emotions today. Yes I am sad but he had no quality of life so even if it sounds cliched, it is a blessing. I had my first dad for 13 years, and this dad for 26 years. It doesn't seem long enough even combined. I always get mad at my students (or anyone for that matter) when they don't appreciate their parents - one day they will be gone - there is a sense of security in having parents, now I am alone with my own family - weird feeling. I drove to Vernon today after my step-sister called to say he was experiencing heart failure. He died before I got there. I really wanted to get to say goodbye, and I felt a bit like I had let my mom down but hopefully she could see that I was trying to get there - even through snow on the Coquihalla. Gayle and I went out for lunch then we went to clear the stuff out of Dad's room. I got a couple of photos of him which made me happy since I don't have any since he had his stroke (or whatever it was) I really felt for Gayle, all three of her parents died at Noric House (where Dad was) - that is really sad. When she phoned Sean in Costa Rica he told her that his 4 year old daughter Serena had said this morning that "Grandpa died" - even before Gayle had gotten hold of him - very strange. We don't give kids enough credit.

Anyway, I hope Dad, Mom and Dad are all having a drink with Grandma and Grandpa Chesterman and Grandpa Sayers. I hope they are playing a good game of cards and are smiling down on all of us. I hope they see their grandchildren with a sense of pride, and I hope they save a place for me at the table.

No comments: